[MPlayer-users] problems with NTSC

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 1 22:16:02 CET 2002

>>OK, I will use your option, but 1) why is it in TFM and 2) does -pass
>>screw up my result in some way? Or it just doesnt do anything, just
>>rewriting avi from scratch (I do see divxpass file being written and
>>then read back)...
>>

>It will screw up bad and/or crash if you enable B frames, and it will
>produce much worse results than lavc's internal 2pass code. DO NOT USE
>-pass!

Yes, thanks for a warning. Finally I get reasonable results and can
focus on finetuning :)
Taking an opportunity - would you please refer me to some reading on
ratings/specs/stats/compos on encoding with/without B frames *using
lavc*? I tried RTFM, but it's very modest on this matter (as well as
original ffmpeg docs). I am interested in real-life examples, but rather
general (=reasonable average for most movies), I am not interested in
spending lots of time prepering settings for every movie, but yet I want
not to totally screw up :)

thanks
Domi