[MPlayer-users] libncurses needed for mplayer?

mwmiller at columbus.rr.com mwmiller at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 1 23:50:02 CET 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 06:49:02PM +0100, Balatoni Denes <pnis at coder.hu>
wrote:
> I can't seem to be able to figure this out: mplayer needs libncurses,
> it says so when I start it up on the zaurus. However, I can not find
> the word ncurses or curses in the cvs tree.

What operating system are you using?  If Linux (and maybe some others--
I don't quite remember), you may be able to check library dependencies
for the mplayer binary, thus:

$ ldd /usr/local/bin/mplayer
	libmad.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libmad.so.0 (0x40015000)
	libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0x4002f000)
	libogg.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libogg.so.0 (0x40053000)
... and so on and so on...

Then repeat the check for any of the libraries listed that you're not
sure about.  You might want to specifically check
/path/to/lib/libaa.so.# and/or /path/to/lib/libSDL.so.# as Arpi
suggests.  You may be able to fix the dependency problem by recompiling
and reinstalling whatever library is crying out into the darkness for
libncurses.  Or you could just install libncurses.
--
Matthew W. Miller, Linux kiddie
mwmiller at columbus.rr.com