[MPlayer-users] stuck audio pts

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 2 22:18:02 CET 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 10:08:53PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > I just uploaded audio-pts-stuck.avi to mplayerhq. This file was
> > generated with an older version of mencoder (on April 17) and used to
> > work fine with mplayer, but now audio pts gets stuck at -0.2 when
> > playing it and a/v desyncs horribly unless -mc 0 is used.
>
> hmm.
> is this file playable under windows?

I have no idea, I don't have windows.

> actually it seems to have broken header, it worked before i've fixed a bug
> in the avi demuxer...
> according to Avery Lee's research, the windows avi demuxers ignore
> dwSampleSize and use nBlockAlign only, while both avifile and old mplayer
> used dwSampleSize to make the decision between CBR and VBR mode.
>
> this file has a mixed header - wf for VBR and avi stream header for CBR
> format. it confuses my parser now :(
> maybe i have to add some workaround.

Hmm, sounds like the file does have a broken header, but as I said,
mencoder generated it. Unfortunately I don't remember for sure whether
I used -oac copy or -oac mp3lame.

BTW, I seem to recall having seen another file with this same problem
a few days ago, with WMA audio. At the time though I dismissed the
problem as just a bug in ffmwa, which it might or might not have been.

Rich