[MPlayer-users] Compiling on Solaris 7/SPARC

Jessica Blank jb at twu.net
Mon Nov 4 01:29:02 CET 2002

Hi all:

	I am having a great amount of difficulty compiling on Solaris
7/SPARC.

	Firstly, 'older' Solaris releases lack inet_pton() and inet_aton()
completely.

	I was able to find an inet_pton() routine in the BIND 9.x sources,
so I used that.

	However, when it came time to link the binary (I am compiling
statically-- don't ask why, I just want to do it that way, so I can bring
the binary to any given Solaris box and have it Just Work without worrying
about library versions!) I realized that Solaris 7 ALSO lacks
"libresolv.a".

	There is a "libresolv.so" but no "libresolv.a". I've heard that
some modern linkers can, through some High Voodoo Magic, link a .so
library into a static binary-- but I don't want to try it...

	This may be an obscure question, but-- does anyone know where I
can get the sources to libresolv so I can compile it myself? (I've heard
that glibc includes it-- but I'd REALLY rather avoid having to install
and/or compile and/or statically link against ALL OF GLIBC just to get
libresolv!)

	ANOTHER QUESTION: Can anyone think of any other issues which would
prevent mplayer and/or libavcodec from running properly on Solaris/SPARC?
I noticed that certain portions of the source tree had i386/alpha/PPC/etc.
architecture-specific directories, but no SPARC...

	Many thanks!

							--Jessica

  J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k
  Programmer * Unix Sysadmin * Web Geek