[MPlayer-users] Broken avi streams (?)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Nov 4 01:31:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> I had a similar experience with a broken avi file, and I did the
> following to fix it: First, I used ffmpeg with -acodec copy -vcodec
> copy to generate a working avi file. It seems more tolerant of damage
> to the avi structure than mplayer is... Then, since ffmpeg generates
> broken non-interleaved avi files when using -acodec copy, I used
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy to remux it into a working file.
lol :)

> Since ffmpeg handled it fine, presumably mplayer could be improved to
> do so as well. Unfortunately I think I deleted the broken source file,
> so I can't upload it to mplayerhq... :(

i need such sample...

actually avifile's recovery code is much simpler than mplayer's one, but my
code is index-based (find and recover errors by comparing consistency of
index and chunk headers) so it is not used for the index re-generation.
It's on my todo for long time to write a better brute-force index rebuilder,
which can try to do recursive re-syncing when it find a bogus header.
But as i've never seen any such broken file, it has low priority...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team