[MPlayer-users] mplayer and low end machines

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Nov 7 12:23:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> I'm installing RH 7.3 on a notebook which I just received as a gift. It's a
> low end Pentium 300 machine with 96MB RAM (cannot expand it to more then
> that).
>
> I understand that I cannot play full DVD's with it (well, software DVD players

false!
i have p2-250mhz test machine with 128mb ram, and it plays both matrix.vob
with 3% framedrop and the 1800kbps 620x576 sw ep1 DIVX3 trailer with 0
framedrop well.  using a matrox g200... with the mga_vid kernel module...

> requires at least Pentium 350 + 128MB RAM), but I was wondering how good will
under windoze

> it be when it comes to playing AVI, DiVX3/4/5 files in a window or in full
> screen? any good suggestions for tweaking to make it run fast? (I'm using KDE
get a good vga card, an old ati mach64 or matrox g200 is perfect for that
and enable MTRR.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team