[MPlayer-users] mplayer and low end machines

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Nov 7 20:36:01 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:47:55AM -0600, Green, Shaun wrote:

> >This is not hardware acceleration, it's hardware support for YUV
> >colorspace, plus drivers that allow you to write directly to video
> >memory rather than letting the slow broken xf86 drivers copy the image
> >around and convert it multiple times before actually displaying it.
>
> I thought this is what -vo sdl:dga was for. Isn't it faster than vidix?

No, MUCH slower. Anything RGB-based is slow (non-xv SDL, x11, svgalib,
dga, fbdev, ...). Anything that involves multiple copying or
conversion steps is slow (x11, xv, X-based SDL). Those listed in both
categories are doubly slow. The fast vo's are the direct access
YUV-space ones (mga, xmga, vesa:vidix, xvidix, tdfxfb).

> I'm using an AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz.

Then it doesn't matter what vo you use.

Rich