[MPlayer-users] mplayer and low end machines

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Nov 7 20:40:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 03:48:19PM +0000, Roberto De Leo wrote:
> I imagine that you would reserv the term "hw acceleration" for MPEG cards
> and that kind of stuff, right?

Right.

> Still, I'd expect that if I had a G400 [i.e. a card with hw support for YUV
> colorspace] on a PI 100 then I'd be able to play smoothly in fullscreen any
> DivX and probably even a DVD, since I can play smoothly a DivX, even
> though with no fullscreen, already on a PI 166!

Hmm, I assume you're using -framedrop and your movies are 320x240 or
so. AFAIK P166 doesnt even have MMX, which is almost necessary for
DCT-based codecs (MPEG*) to be fast. And then there's the fact that
the PCI bus is too slow for high-res video, especially in RGB space
where you can't transfer downsampled U/V planes. My K6-2/450 is even
slightly too slow to play dvds without -framedrop, so I really doubt
there's any way you could play them on P100...

Rich