[MPlayer-users] Playing WMA files

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Nov 7 21:24:02 CET 2002

> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:45:29PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > I can play it with windows media player, but don't want windows at home
> > > (and haven't got it).
> >
> > then it's "just" encrypted... and only WMP can play it as it has teh keys
>
> Anyone care to "fix" that bug? :)

no way

STFA

the machine (actually the windows registry + DLL) where teh file was
downloaded keeps the keys. there is a windows program able to decrypt it
using teh windows dll... but don't ask to port it to linux, not possible,
as the dll uses teh hardware parameters as key to crypt that, so unless
you can do 100% emulation or rev. eng. the whole dll, you won't be able to
do that... in short: fsck microsoft

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team