[MPlayer-users] Problems with NTSC - summary

Dominik Szczerba domi at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 7 23:24:02 CET 2002

  Hi,

Thank you all who submitted hints on this. This is what I finally ended
up with:

- some NTSC dvds wont play/rip on some DVD drives while they will
play/rip on others. I tried a few NTSC 29.97 fps movies on a few computers.

- those, who rip/play correctly: I specify a (suggested by 1st pass
encoding or calculated myelf) bitrate, but it is wrongly passed to
encoder. I need to myltiply the desired bitrate by ~1.2 ( I guess that's
from 25/29.97, no?) to get proper file length (and bitrate used). So I
have to say br=1200 if I want br=1000 and a filesize coresponding to 1000.

- all above problems dont apply to PAL dvds (tested some 10 or so)

So I am glad, but also very tired. Some resolutions I used, you may find
it handy, they are all multiple of 16:

640 x 480   1.33:1
640 x 272   2.35:1
640 x 336   1.90:1
640 x 368   1.74:1

I also developed some simple scripts that facilitate ripping,
sound+subtitles and passes for libavc, if you are interested I could
publish them.

thanks to all who helped
DS