[MPlayer-users] how to make DivX/avi file smaller?

Michael Waters stonin at rogers.com
Fri Nov 8 05:28:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 16:55 -0200, Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> I have a file "Starwars Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace [DivX].avi"
> (downloaded with KaZaa) which I would like to burn into a CDR,
> but it is a bit too small for that and does not fit in a CD. Its  size
> is 813.342.720 bytes = 794280 Kbytes ~= 776 Mbytes. Is there a
> way to reduce its size to an apropriate value for CDR burning,
> without loosing much in quality?

If you don't want to split it on 2 cds or compress it, you could make a
XCD.  It can hold ~800mb on a 80min CD but in mode2. (little or no
error correction on the cd)

I've never made one but all the tools are available:

ogmtools - http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/
It can rip the a/v streams from the avi into an ogm file which
apparently has better tolerance than avi if your cd gets scratched up.
I've tried it a couple times and it works well, but I've never tried
putting mp3 into an ogm.  From the manpage:
What not works:
       *      Audio synchronization for PCM, MP3 and AC3 sound

I don't know if that means the audio would be desynced or not.  You
could try it or convert the mp3 to ogg but you may lose some quality.

mode 2 cdmaker - http://webs.ono.com/usr016/de_xt/
I've never tried this but there's linux source & binary there.  cdrdao
should be able to burn the image.

I don't know any way of playing the imagefile in linux though - it
would have to be played from cd.  Also the only way to play the xcd in
linux is mplayer... but I guess that's not a disadvantage. :)