[MPlayer-users] XCD

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Fri Nov 8 10:10:02 CET 2002

On Friday 08 November 2002 04:51, Michael Waters wrote:

> Christoph Enzmann wrote:
> > >Does anyone know if mplayer can play an xcd CD image off of the hard
> > >drive?
> >
> > You can try to use a loopback device (man losetup).

Wrong way.

> I tried this.  I can mount iso images no problem but mount doesn't seem
> to understand raw mode2 cd images.

vcd's and svcd's shouldn't be mounted to play, the same here ...

> Balatoni Denes wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Won't it just recognize the file as some stream ?
>
> I couldn't get it to work. It tries to read the file but exits.  I
> tried also many variations of -sb & -ss.

skipping the RIFF-header sjould work maybe ..

> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if mplayer can play an xcd CD image off of the hard
> > > drive?
> >
> > Try using some VCD tools to rip the bin file apart.
>
> I tried vcdimager but vcdxrip seems to understand only mpeg and mpeg2.
> It exits with "**ERROR: unexpected descriptor type".  I also tried
> bchunk to convert the image but the file it made didn't mount as iso or
> cdfs.

I think there is a patched cdfs for Linux available to being able to read this
cd's. But on XCD's you should not burn an avi. At least you should use a
containerformat with errordetection as .ogm have. whoever burnt that disk,
had not read a lot about that thing. Did not know if mplayer tries to
recognize the stream or if it assumes it is mpeg1 or mpeg2.

> Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently "daemon tools" (windoze) can
> mount the images.  There must be some way, if not, oh well...  :)

under win there should be a way for sure. Ever read docs about it ? (maybe on
doom9.org ? )