[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Fri Nov 8 13:12:04 CET 2002

On 02.11.08 Dominik Szczerba pressed the following keys:

> >>why are people using vqmin=1?? Does it really improve?
> >>

> >Boh? If it does, well. If not, amen. At least I hope it doesn't degrade
> >it.
> >
> Are you sure you know what you are doing? I just *heard* it pumps up the
> size (but how, if you specify bitrate?) but no info in any docs. I heard
> it reduces quality/size ratio, but I havent confirmed it.

It's not the black bars that you should be concerned about. MPEG1/2/4 is
optimised for them and handles them well. The problem is the border
between black bars and picture. It sucks bits of videostream like the member of
the oldest proffession.

When I did some tests it appeared that to achieve the same picture
quality with and without the black borders one had add about 5% to
bitrate.

Now count that for average 90min flick.

Robert

--