[MPlayer-users] Ripped DVD got wrong aspect ratio?

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Fri Nov 8 16:10:11 CET 2002

On Friday 08 November 2002 16:52, Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> >Because they do NOT help compression ratio/quality!
>
> on divx forum I read different oppinions. (_sigh_)... and be wise here...
>
> > RTFM.
>
> where, please, where exactly
>
> >other reasons one may sometime want to use B frames, but IMHO they're
> >best avoided.
>
> what is side effect of Bframes?
>
> Domi

As I understood b-frames, it makes the motion/bitrate-prediction better,
because on that frames there will be looked forward and backward. The
negative is that storing b-frames need more space as I-frames.
So you will only have pros on fastmotion-scene-quality and size-prediction.
At least b-frames have to work very well in the codec to get better results
with that . The man of mplayer mention here not to use it since it is still
buggy (at least the last time I RTFM ;o).

If I'm totally wrong please flame me ;o)

Greets

Steffen