[MPlayer-users] problems with any AVI files

Green, Shaun Shaun.Green at msfc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 8 23:08:02 CET 2002

>This process always creates a file with -200ms uniform desync throughout,
>which you have to correct with AVIdemux afterwards (using 200 however in
the
>time offset menu because it's opposite).
>
>Shaun
>                                   ^
>

>exactly, I just came to this point. why doest it happen?

To correct most, just simply add -mc 0 to your mencoder command line.

I don't know why this must be done on all DVD converted movies, but it seems
to be the case to get good A-V sync.

One problem with mencoder is the lack of a way to interleave the AVI you
create. So you have to turn right around and use AVIdemux to create the
final interleaved AVI so you can seek in it using mplayer. I expect this to
be the source of most of the A-V desync issues announced on this list when
seeking.

So the conversion can't be completely scripted with this dependency, and
means you have to use the X Windows server and all that junk, since AVIdemux
must be used to interleave every frame w/ audio. I searched through the
command-line params and it only provides -ni which is to create a
non-interleaved file. Previously, on some conversions, mencoder crashed when
-ni was not used.

Shaun