[MPlayer-users] Problems with NTSC - summary

Juergen Hammelmann juergen.hammelmann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 9 13:19:01 CET 2002

Hi, these NTSC movies are in encoded with 23.976 frames per second!!!
Because for television they have a pulldown mode, so the movies are shown with
29.97 frames/sec on tv: first frame is shown twice, then second frame is
shown once, the third frame is shown twice again, and so on...
so you get from 24 frames in real from cinema movies to the tv standard with
60 frames per second!

Ciao, Jürgen

Am Freitag, 8. November 2002 00:22 schrieb Dominik Szczerba:
>   Hi,
>
> Thank you all who submitted hints on this. This is what I finally ended
> up with:
>
> - some NTSC dvds wont play/rip on some DVD drives while they will
> play/rip on others. I tried a few NTSC 29.97 fps movies on a few computers.
>
> - those, who rip/play correctly: I specify a (suggested by 1st pass
> encoding or calculated myelf) bitrate, but it is wrongly passed to
> encoder. I need to myltiply the desired bitrate by ~1.2 ( I guess that's
> from 25/29.97, no?) to get proper file length (and bitrate used). So I
> have to say br=1200 if I want br=1000 and a filesize coresponding to 1000.
>
> - all above problems dont apply to PAL dvds (tested some 10 or so)
>
> So I am glad, but also very tired. Some resolutions I used, you may find
> it handy, they are all multiple of 16:
>
> 640 x 480   1.33:1
> 640 x 272   2.35:1
> 640 x 336   1.90:1
> 640 x 368   1.74:1
>
> I also developed some simple scripts that facilitate ripping,
> sound+subtitles and passes for libavc, if you are interested I could
> publish them.
>
> thanks to all who helped
> DS

And the silence came surging softly backwards
When the plunging hooves were gone...
		-- Walter de La Mare, "The Listeners"

system:  1:12pm  up 5 days, 23:30,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.22, 0.22
--
email:  juergen.hammelmann at gmx.de            | Dipl.-Inf. Juergen Hammelmann,
mobile: +49-7034-259041, +49-179-2178869     | Bruehlstr. 6,