[MPlayer-users] problem reencoding videos captured from TV

Matija Grabnar matija.grabnar at arnes.si
Sat Nov 9 20:44:02 CET 2002

I encode TV from my TV card with the command line
/usr/local/bin/FFMPEGrec -mixsrc /dev/mixer:line -mixvol /dev/mixer:line:100 -ff avi -vc msmpeg4 -vb 1500 -w 384 -h 288 -F $frameduration -o $out

I get good movies, but too big to save for a long time.
So I reenocde them, with three pass encoding:

mencoder  $inp -ovc frameno -oac copy -o frameno.avi
mencoder $inp -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$rec{$size}:vpass=1 -o /dev/null

mencoder $inp -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$rec{$size}:vpass=2  -o $out

(The calls are made from a script, that's why some values are a dolar and a
name).

The reencoded movie has a big desync between the audio and the video.
I've tried it with pre9 and today's CVS. I'm running debian Sid, if that
matters.

I've uploaded the recording from the TV and the reencoded file to
mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/ in the file reencoding-causes-delay.tar.bz