[MPlayer-users] DVDs slow on a 2Ghz P4?

Mike Perry mikepery at fscked.org
Sun Nov 10 12:18:01 CET 2002

I'm having performance issues playing DVD's on a 2.0 Ghz P4 laptop (Dell
SmartStep 200N). The video is choppy and just can't sync up with the
audio.

My video card is an ATI Radeon Mobility, and I'm using the Gatos drivers.
My sound card is an Intel 82801BA/BAM AC97, and I'm using OSS drivers for
it. Nothing else is using the sound card (I checked with fuser).

The DVD drive is an IDE device, and has DMA enabled.

I've tried numerous combinations of options with mplayer (dga, xv, x11,
fbdev, and sdl for video out, and oss and sdl for audio out), and nothing seems
to help. Not even -framedrop.

I'm using mplayer 0.90pre9. Anyone have any suggestions? It seems quite
odd that a 2 Ghz laptop should have performance issues with this stuff..

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist