[MPlayer-users] Re: bug in mplayer ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 10 16:05:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> whatever I use mplayer or gmplayer whatever the cache is, whichever the
> version of mplayer is , it works slow with
> oss397e-linux-v2x. if I change the oss version to an older one it works
> pervect. Is there a bug in oss maybe ??

yes.

RTFM.

xmms and other audio-only players don't use syncronization functions of teh
audio driver - mplayer does. if it's broken, mplayer won't work, playback
will be jerky.

you can also try -autosync 30
(it will smooth/emulate the syncro stuff of oss)

or -ao sdl

or use alsa, it's much better than kernel's oss drivers

or use oss commercial, it's even better than alsa - but costs money :(
(but at least is compliant with the oss specs/standard, unlike teh kernel's
broken-to-hell oss drivers...)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team