[MPlayer-users] Recent dfbmga (DR patch) causes OSD flicker

Brian J. Murrell 183f7b1cb23c26b1c4527dc17b667d04 at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Nov 10 23:46:02 CET 2002

I have been using the dfbmga VO with my Matrox G400 (using TVout on
crtc2) and DirectFB 0.9.14+(CVS) and I just updated MPlayer from CVS
today and got the Direct Rendering enhancements to dfbmga.  Excellent!

Except one thing:  The OSD flickers now.  And it's not just that it's
just flickering on and off.  The numbers in the top left of the screen
flicker back and forth between current and recent values.  So if you
were to see the display, one flicker at a time it would go something
like:

00:00:00
00:00:00
00:00:00
00:00:01
00:00:00
00:00:01
00:00:00
00:00:02
00:00:01
00:00:02
00:00:01
00:00:00
00:00:02
00:00:01
00:00:00
00:00:03
00:00:02
00:00:03
00:00:03
00:00:02
00:00:01
00:00:02
00:00:03

I dunno if this pattern is the actual pattern as it flickers because
it is flickering way to fast to know, but I think you get the idea.
In every digit position, there is a flicker between the current value
and the most recent values.  It seems almost like for some frames,
previous values of the OSD are being used.  I'm not sure how much
better to describe it.

I have tried -double and -vop expand to solve as per the documentation
but they are no help.

And before there is any griping about all the information that
bugreports.html requires (CPU, glibc version, etc.) simply doing a:

$ cvs -q update -D yesterday libvo/vo_dfbmga.c
$ make -C libvo; make

Makes the problem go away, except of course the use of extra CPU,
pressumably due to the lack of direct rendering.

Any ideas?  A bug in the direct rendering implementation perhaps?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell