[MPlayer-users] Re: mpeg -> dxr3 hwac3 sound

Jaroslav Tulach jst at seznam.cz
Tue Nov 12 13:51:02 CET 2002

Denes, Jean-Luis, David,
thanks for your replies - my comments inlined. If there are other ideas
how to do the mp2 -> ac3 conversion, please throw them in, because I am
still not closer to solution for my problem.

-jst

Comments inlined...

 > From: Balatoni Denes <pnis at coder.hu>
 >
 > I don't know whether dxr3 can decode mp3/2/1 too not just ac3.
 > But format 0x50 is mp2 and it is an entirely different format from ac3
 > Anyway, I don't know how to do what you want, sorry.

Too bad. Anybody else knows a way how to convert mp2 to ac3? Btw. how to
extract the audio stream from the mpeg2 stream? I can separate video one
(extract_mpeg2) but is there a tool for separation of audio stream?

 > From: DEBERT Jean-Louis <jl.debert at rsd.com>
 >
 > Jaroslav Tulach wrote:
 >> I would like to play mpeg2 file thru my dxr3 card. Video
 >> works fine, but
 >> audio always prints "Audio: no sound!". Btw. playing DVD works, even
 >> with sound. Here is the command I use
 >>
 >> mplayer -vo dxr3:noprebuf -ao oss:/dev/em8300_ma -ac hwac3
 >

 > I don't have the source available right now, but I'm pretty sure
 > that the device is /dev/em8300_ma-0   (the -0 at the end is
 > the card number since the driver allows for several ...)
 > This would explain the "Audio: no sound!" because it could never
 > open the device specified in your command line.

That is not the problem. First of all I am able to play DVDs. Second, as
  David Holm expected I have a simlink from em8300_ma to em8300_ma-0.
The problem is that I am not able to find any convertor from mp2 format
to ac3.