[MPlayer-users] mencoder: raw DV on stdin?

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Wed Nov 13 19:19:02 CET 2002

How can I get mencoder to accept raw DV data on stdin?  I have a raw DV
file, which I can play with mplayer by doing:

   mplayer file.dv

It says it identified a RAWDV file, and that it's using libdv codec for
audio and dshow codec for video.

If I feed that same file to mencoder like so:

   cat file.dv | mencoder ...

It says it's not a recognized file.  I tried forcing the codecs with -ac
and -vc, but it doesn't help.

I can give mencoder the filename and it will work fine, but not if I pump
it through stdin.  The reason it needs to come from stdin is that normally
I don't want to use a file, but rather the output of a pipe that is
feeding raw DV from a kino project.

Is this doable in current mencoder code (I'm using latest from CVS)?
How do I get it going?

--
  Robert Kesterson
  robertk at robertk.com