[MPlayer-users] problems with getting video

Brian Kreulen apocalypse29_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 13:44:02 CET 2002

Amazing! It works!!!

I'm using grub, not lilo, but I just added the vga=791
line to the end of the 'kernel' line and presto, the
movies popped up. At first they were just tiny
windows, with all these phsycho colors. I tried every
video format I had, including a .rm file, and they all
came out the same. I didn't have the Real codecs
compiled, so I decided to recompile them in.
(./configure -enable-real) Somehow, by magic,
recompiling Mplayer with the Real codecs fixed all the
problems, even with avis and mpegs. The movies came up
perfectly, with no color problems at all. Wierd, eh?

Anyway, I've got some minor configuration problems
now, but at least I've got somewhere to start. MPlayer
complains about my computer being too slow for some TV
eps, but that doesn't seem to make sense because they
worked fine under Win2k. I've got an 800Mhz Athlon
TBird, I don't think there should be a problem, do
you?

One last question about the vga=791 thing. Is it
possible that changing this might tune up my videos?
What else can I change it to? I'm unfamiliar with that
kernel option. Maybe there should be a FAQ Q/A on this
matter, in case someone else runs into this problem...

Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help in this matter!!

--- "Green, Shaun" <Shaun.Green at msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
>
> Well, on my MDK9 distro, I have to specify in
> lilo.conf;
>
> vga=791
>
> (before the image lines) and then my fbdev will
> work. It won't work w/o this
> I guess because vga=normal is the default unless
> it's specified, and for
> some reason fbdev doesn't initialize with the
> default.

=====
Brian Kreulen