[MPlayer-users] Re: mp3PRO support

Ross claymen at walan.org
Fri Nov 15 01:25:02 CET 2002

>Hi,
>
>for those who are waiting for the mp3pro support i've good news!
>I've contacted the mp3pro guys and they said that they're working
>on a DirectShow decoder plugin too (which API is currently supported in
>MPlayer!)
>
>So be patient, the support will come!

Yes the DirectShow API is supported to some degree in mplayer it would still
be far better to have a native decoder, that way different archs can also
benefit. But in the end it comes down to simply most people dont have the mp3
pro encoders cause they cost $$ and for the rest of us we have vorbis which
is free and opensource anyway. Why do we need mp3PRO when we have other audio
compression formats which are better.

Does mp3PRO support multiple channels etc like vorbis does. I just think in
the end that because we have vorbis that mp3PRO isnt needed, by all means add
support but why use it for encoding when we have other codecs available
without the license problems associated with mp3.

- Claymen

--
BOFH excuse #302:

microelectronic Riemannian curved-space fault in write-only file system