[MPlayer-users] About overlapping subtitles

Daniel Lisiecki lis9 at wp.pl
Fri Nov 15 15:17:02 CET 2002

 >Hi all.
 >
 >In a couple of past posts to this ml, Daniel Lisiecki and Tymoteusz
 >Kielan complained about overlapping subtitles, a new feature of
 >MPlayer-0.90-pre10.
 >
 >Today I sent a patch to mplayer-dev-eng that allows to disable
 >overlapping subtitles (and subtitles sorting, another feature I added)
 >at configure time. Since the mantainer(s) are currently busy, this
 >patch will be included ASAP, so please be patient.
 >
 >However I wold like to say that this patch was originated by the fact
 >that I was not satisfied by the way MPlayer-0.90-pre9 handled
 >overlapping subtitles, since this resulted in displaying only the
first >of the overlapping subtitles during the overlap time (ok, a bit
 >confused, but I hope you get it). So I would appreciate much if those
 >who complained about the patch could explain better what they
 >disliked.
 >
 >Salvatore Falco

Thank's a lot for this patch!
It's not like that I hate this feature as much as WindowsOS ;). I'd like
have an oportunity not to use it!
IMHO it make subtitles "unreadable" when recent and current subtitle are
  at the same time on the screen, and your eye (or brain, if you'd
rather) do get used to read from the topmost line of text. In this
situation you read the same subtitle twice (once as current and once as
recent, when it scrolls up in next step) and it is confusing. Ufff...I
hope you get what I mean...
Maybe better solution is, instead of not to compile-in overlapping subs
support (ergo: disable feature at configure time), to add command line
option e.g. "-suboverlap", for those, who likes it?

Lis9