[MPlayer-users] About overlapping subtitles

salvatore.falco at katamail.com salvatore.falco at katamail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:21:02 CET 2002

> I found them annoying because position of one single subtitle in its
> screen-lifetime was changing. That is: subtitle can move a little higher
> when the next overlapping subtitle gets displayed under it etc.

       You are right, but that is a problem (bug) in the OSD code, not in subtitles one. You can check that by yourself, searching for " "
(hype-blank-hype) in subreader.c and changing it in "{", for example, then
recompiling: you'll see a '{' instead of blank lines, but overlapping subtitles will
not move higher when the next subtitle appears.

> Myself, I found overlapping subtitles hard to read and misleading (but
> that's maybe because low quality of subtitles I have). Are they a divx
> subtitle makers idea, or they have another origin?

They are supported by subtitling programs, like JACOsub and
SubStationAlpha, which are used to actually (fan-)subtitle a movie. If used in
the right way, that is one subtitle for character speaking, are not so bad, but
if are originated by bad timing they are an annoying mistake.

However, as I said in a previous mail, soon you will be able to get rid of them
at configure time.

Salvatore Falco