[MPlayer-users] Licensing of win32 codecs?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 19 05:52:01 CET 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 06:19:47PM -0800, Chris Carlen wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm considering using Mplayer at my company.  But I am not sure of the
> licensing of the package w32codec.
>
> Are these files Ok to use in a company which must do everything by the book?

Some yes, some no. However chances are good that there's absolutely no
use for them, except perhaps WMV8. The ones that are definitely not
"ok" are the various divx3/divxaudio codecs, since they're modified
copies of MS codecs (hacked to remove limitations MS put there). I
think most of the rest come with Windows or can be downloaded from
"legitimate" internet sites, but again, my advice would be to omit the
w32codecs package entirely unless you know you need it.

Rich