[MPlayer-users] hdparm question

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Nov 21 06:09:01 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 12:11:50AM +0100, gabor wrote:
> hi,
>

> after reading the docs about hdparm...
>

> i wonder if those settings are harmless or not..
>
> because i found a lot of 'interesting switches', like:
> use-dma (d1),

A very good idea for performance.

> multiple-io (m),

Reduces load from big reads, but perhaps adds a slight bit of latency
for small random access reads. Also my drives don't seem to like
having very high values for -m.

> unmask-irq (u),

This is absolutely essential. Otherwise disk io will totally trash
interactivity, cause lost data on serial transfers (and possibly on
network), and generally just ruin your life. :(