[MPlayer-users] windows XP can't play mencoder files?

Jason Pepas j.pepas at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 21 06:38:02 CET 2002

> Umm, DO NOT use msmpeg4v2. It's an ancient codec meant for use in asf
> only, not avi, so the windows players won't like it! You should always
> be using mpeg4 for encoding, unless you have very special needs.

what about the fact that windows media player will automatically download the
msmpeg4v2 codec, but will not download an mpeg4 codec?  You must understand,
when sending a file to a complete computer illiterate, once you get to the
point of "Ok, now just go download the Divx codec", you have completely lost
them.

although, windows xp doesn't seem to like msmpeg4v2 anyway, so I guess I lost
the compatibility arguement...

So, what is the recommended mpeg4 based codec if you are trying to target
windows media player compatibility (and mac quicktime player compatibility)?
My goal here is to be able to sit down at any computer and have my videos
supported "out of the box".

-jason