[MPlayer-users] mplayer compilation error

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri Nov 22 20:40:02 CET 2002

Corey Hickey writes:
 :: Provided somebody hasn't posted a more knowledgable response by the time
 :: you read this:

I wish!

 :: Does the same thing happen when you use the pre10 tar.bz2 (or cvs) from
 :: mplayerhq.hu?

The .src.rpm uses the "pristine source" file from the source provider.
In fact , in the RPM philosophy, it is a _big sin_ to touch the
original source file.  All changes are to be done via explicit patches
(which I inhibited in the .spec file).

Below is the contents of mandrake's mplayer-0.90-0.pre10.3mdk.src.rpm:

          395 Aug 14 02:14 SOURCES/kernel-version.sh
      2855776 Nov 10 13:15 SOURCES/MPlayer-0.90pre10.tar.bz2
          330 Aug 14 02:14 SOURCES/mplayer-0.90pre6-nomgafirst.patch.bz2
          773 Jul 19 03:22 SOURCES/mplayer-16.png
         2491 Jul 19 03:22 SOURCES/mplayer-32.png
         5117 Jul 19 03:22 SOURCES/mplayer-48.png
          371 Aug 14 02:14 SOURCES/mplayer-mgavid.patch.bz2
          386 Aug 19 03:41 SOURCES/mplayer-radeonvid.patch.bz2
        26319 Nov 21 21:19 SPECS/mplayer.spec

The 2nd line is the pristine source.  The patches are trivial things
for specific drivers which got around some bugs in Mdk 8.2.  Since I'm
running Mdk 9.0 they don't get applied but I specifically inhibited them
in the .spec file nonetheless.

The other stuff (like the .png files) have to do with Mandrake's KDE
menu implementation.  When you install the .rpm, little scripts get
run which automagically update your menus and put nice Mplayer Icons
in the right place.

Anyway, let me download the actual source, unpack it, and `diff' it
against the unpacked form of the above .tar.bz2.  Just a moment ...

       <ticking sound in background, clock hands moving on the wall>

... Yep.  Sure enough.  They are identical.

Dean
                                  Dean S. Messing
                                  Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
                                  Information Systems Technologies Dept.
                                  Sharp Laboratories of America