[MPlayer-users] xvid, lavc, mencoder - thank you

Michael Waters stonin at rogers.com
Sat Nov 23 08:24:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:50 -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:

> Yeah, that looks the way it should be: ffmpeg all the way. I bet the
> developers would appreciate a bugreport on this. Use:
>
> $ mencoder -dvd 1 -ss 500 -frames 200 -ovc copy -nosound
>
> and modify the parameters to match your video source and the position of
> a section of video that causes your problem. Then, create an lavc
> encoding of the resultant file (make sure it has the problem you
> describe). Upload those two files to
> ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/ along with a text file describing
> the problem and the _exact_ command you use to reproduce it.

I've now uploaded a sample of the original and an encode showing the
problem.

I tried many variations of the vlelim, vcelim, lumi_mask, dark_mask,
v4mv, vqcomp options as suggested by people here but they make only
very subtle differences if at all and do not seem to help the
blockiness at all.  Do you guys really see differences with these
options?  It's weird though because I think lavc mpeg4 usually looks
better than xvid ...sharper and cleaner looking.  But in this case,
xvid 2pass at 800 kbps looks pretty much perfect and lavc looks very
bad.

Does anyone know if it would help if I also send an email to an ffmpeg
mailinglist?