[MPlayer-users] hdparm question

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 17:14:02 CET 2002

On Friday 22 Nov 2002 23:40, Gabucino wrote:
> justin case wrote:
> > > use-dma (d1),
> > ALWAYS use it!
> At least most of the time. I have a 2GB 2.5" notebook hdd which (when DMA
> was enabled) was producing invisible write errors (i.e. no error message,
> but data was written wrong) with DMA on.

I've also had a few problems with Fujitsu and Seagate drives of about 4.5GB
and below - the Fujitsu ones seem to totally scramble themselves (wiping the
bootsector/partition table, etc) and the Seagate ones just disappear off the
IDE bus altogether after a while until they're power-cycled.

So if you've got drives like either of these, be very careful indeed when
testing the using-dma flag.

Stephen