[MPlayer-users] insane compulsive maniacal mencoder settings

Michael Waters stonin at rogers.com
Sun Nov 24 02:38:01 CET 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 00:51 +0000, Martin Collins wrote:
> > The best looking mpeg4 encodes I've ever seen are to
> > be found in alt.binaries.monter-movies .
>
> Do you watch these with mplayer? What command line? I downloaded
> and burned an XCD with ogg(xvid,vorbis) but the best I can get
> with mplayer is garbage video (it thinks it is RAWDV) and no audio.
> I can play my own ogg(mpeg4,vorbis) from the hard drive no problem.

I've had no problems watching xcds with mplayer.  Do not use the CDFS
kernel module as suggested by some of the people in the newsgroup.  It
does not work.  Just burn the image with cdrdao and then
`mplayer -vcd 2`.  Sometimes you might need to play around with the
`-ss` option. like `-ss 5:00`... try different timings.  If playback is
choppy, use `-cache`.