[MPlayer-users] Mplayer Crash

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 12:54:02 CET 2002

Hi Tom

On Saturday 23 Nov 2002 17:54, Tom Nickels wrote:
> I installed Suse Linux 8.1 and MPlayer works fine. As soon as
> like to view the video in full sceen the whole system crashes.
> Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks for help!

Let's try again, and try to be a little more civil this time... :)

What versions of MPlayer ('mplayer -h') and XFree86 ('X -version') are you
using? What graphics card do you have? Some don't work with the XVideo
extension (-vo xv), which uses the graphics chip to scale the video to
full-screen instead of having the processor do it (notably ATI ones, unless
you use the GATOS drivers from gatos.sf.net).

Also, have you tried some different -vo options for mplayer? Try, for example:

mplayer -vo xv somefile.mpg
mplayer -vo dga somefile.mpg
mplayer -vo sdl somefile.mpg
mplayer -vo x11 somefile.mpg

with any other options that you normally pass to mplayer.

If you find one that works OK, you can add a line (eg. something like
"vo=dga") to your ~/.mplayer/config file to make it the default.

Stephen