[MPlayer-users] Mencoder output formats?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri gsbarbieri at yahoo.com.br
Sun Nov 24 20:22:03 CET 2002

Hello,

How do I make mencoder output to formats other than AVI?
I tried to use something like:
   mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=rv10 -o test.rm

and the test.rm is a AVI

And, there is a way to make mencoder output to stdout?

And, what is the best format to use when streaming? With AVI u can't
seek. I need one that isn't too CPU intensive.

I'm asking these questions 'cause I'm trying to make a "Security Camera
Recorder" to my father. It will use a Athlon XP 1800+ w/ 4 v4l cards
and I want to record the video locally and stream it over the net, so I
could see them at home. By now I'm using ffmpeg to record the movies
and ffserver to stream them and mplayer to play them remotely. I really
want  to use MEncoder to at least capture the image so I can use the
-vop crop to eliminate those border noise and the -vop bmovl so I can
record the time to each frame (that why the output to stdout, if I can
do that I can output to ffmpeg and make it record)

Any ideas on this topic are welcome!
When I have things working I'm thinking in opening a sf project.

Gustavo