[MPlayer-users] redirect output

Jason Pepas j.pepas at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 25 04:56:02 CET 2002

hello,

Is there a way to pipe mplayer's stream?

that is, is there anyway to accomplish mplayer | mencoder?

the reason I ask is becuase I have a tv tuner card in a machine which is too
slow to compress the video on the fly.  So I was going to use socat to setup
a pipe from that machine to a faster machine.  The slower machine grabs the
input from the card, the faster machine compresses it.

I am aware of the -dumpstream option, so is it possible to somehow make a pipe
look like a file?

thanks,
jason pepas