[MPlayer-users] tv card basics

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Nov 25 09:40:02 CET 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 11:24:54PM +0000, Chris Phillips wrote:
> > There are cheap tv cards with no saving/encoding at all or expensive
> > ones with mpeg (only 1 or 2, I assume) encoding.
> > Can I get the cheap one (without encoding) and use mencoder to capture
> > the stream from it and encoding it to mpeg4?
> > Does anyone have such a cheap card and could recommend me the brand/type?
>
> anything based on bt878 should be fine. my wintvgo is super. obviously
> mencoder does all the capture outside of the card itself.

848 is also fine, though it hasn't got internal dsp support, so you must
connect audio output of TV tuner card and audio input of sound card and
you must grab audio from your sound card. Besides this it works quite well
for me without any problem (but you should take care of mixer settings
before try to record something ;-)

- Gábor (larta'H)