[MPlayer-users] Short question

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Nov 25 11:29:02 CET 2002

Jason Pepas wrote:

> are you using ide-scsi emulation on a dvd-rom?  I used to be able to play last
> of the mohicans just fine, but my current kernel has scsi-emulation built in
> (as opposed to being a module), and I can't figure out a way to disable just
> the dvd-rom scsi emulation, and leave the cd-burner scsi emulation in place.
> The scsi emulation seems to cause the too many packets in the buffer problem
> for me...
>
> -jason

Here's what I did:

1. Compile your kernel to have ide-cdrom and ide-scsi as modules.

2. Your lilo.conf should have a section like this:

    image=/vmlinuz
         label=Linux
         read-only
         append="hdc=ide-scsi"
	#hdc is the burner

3. Now add 'modprobe ide-scsi' to some script that runs at boot (depends
on your distro).

DISCLAIMER:
It's been a while since I set this up, and there's probably a better way
to do it; however, this process works for me, and shouldn't turn your
system into a toaster oven. :)

-Corey