[MPlayer-users] Mencoder output formats?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Nov 25 11:50:02 CET 2002

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

>>Someone else will have to answer this one for you...
>>

> Any idea who can answer this one?

Not until they speak up. :)

>>You might be able to get this working well with a named pipe:
>>
>>$ mkfifo video.pipe
>>$ mencoder -sourcefile-and-all-your-options -o video.pipe
>>
>>...and then set your ffmpeg server to read from video.pipe.
>>

> This will encode and then decode and then encode? Or there is a way to
> make only ffmpeg encode?

Well, whenever you crop, you have to re-encode; there's no way around
that. Can you set up ffmpeg to merely "repackage" the audio and video
(analagous to mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy) and leave the contained
streams themselves alone?

Seriously, someone who knows more about this than I do should _really_
step in here. ;-)

-Corey