[MPlayer-users] Hebrew subtitles in MPlayer

Petr Pajas pajas at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Nov 26 18:34:39 CET 2002

D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:56:09PM +0200, Pavel Bibergal wrote:
>> i want is to have internal mplayer support for bidirectional languages..
>> maybe using bribidi library will help?
>
> I fail to see how an entire bloated library is needed for something as
> simple as flipping a string backwards...
>
> Rich

for example, you may have parts of the subtites in one language
(hebrew, arabic) and other parts in another (say english). some may
need flipping some not and you have to find out wich and how to
"intermix" them. so its not just flipping everything. more over,
flipping is only one part of full multi-lingual support. some
languages like arabic require rather more transformation of the input
in order to be displayed properly.

-- petr