[MPlayer-users] tv and v4l

Jason Pepas j.pepas at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 26 23:07:04 CET 2002

> OK, what kind of vo do you use?
> Maybe it's -vo x11, and it's slow. Try to use -vo xv or whatever ...

ok, tried removing the outfmt, and added xv, like so:

mplayer -tv on:driver=v4l:input=0:width=320:height=240:norm=NTSC -vo xv

no luck - the problem is still there.

at 320x240, mplayer is using 61% of the cpu, just to watch tv, and it is most
definitly not 30fps (you can still see the blocks being updated).

at 640x480, load avg is at 1.85, mplayer uses up about 90% of cpu, about 85%
of which is system, and cpu graph is pegged all the way.  Tv is updated at
about 6 fps.  the mouse cursor in X becomes sluggish.

but with xawtv, cpu is 98% idle, and things look great (ie, no blocky edges
when you scale up fullscreen, no partial updating of the screen noticeable).

there must be something I am still missing here...  any ideas?  I am using the
cvs version of mgavideo, which gives v4l access to the rainbowrunner.

-jason pepas