[MPlayer-users] System too slow.

David C. Diemer daviddiemer at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:58:02 CET 2002

Roger,

I have a Dell with 1600x1200 flat panel screen running at 16 million collors
(24 bit depth) with an Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz. I too had the same problems
with shaky video, high CPU utilization, slow response, etc. I had to play
with mplayer startup at the shell prompt until I figured out which video
mode was the best for my machine. After starting gmplayer, I made sure the
following was set in the mplayer GUI (gui.conf):
   Video Tab
      Available drivers:
         xv/X11
      Enable double buffering
      Enable direct rendering
      Enable frame dropping (off)
      Enable HARD frame dropping (off)
   Misc Tab
      Enable postprocessing (off)
      Cache on
         8192
      Start in fullscreen (off)

I had problems at first with mplayer until I modified the 'mplayer.conf' and
made sure the following settings were set for my configuration (some of
these settings are default):
   vo = xv
   fs = no
   fsmode = 0
   vm = no
   bpp = 24
   double = yes
   monitoraspect = 4:3
   framedrop = no
   vfm = 5
   cache = 8192

The SDL and FB sections are commented out.

In order to be sure there was a match between mplayer and X11, I made sure
the following modules were loaded in the XF86Config-4 file:
   load "dbe"     # double buffering
   load "dri"     # direct rendering
   load "extmod"  # miscellaneous X11 extsions including Video

In ~/mplayer/config, I have manually set the following:
   nortc = yes
   dr = yes
   idx = yes
   autosync = 32

To make sure the disk I/O subsystem wasn't a problem, I set the following
options for 'hdparm' based on the values found for my hard drive (/dev/hda)
by 'cat /proc/ide/hda/settings' (these have been put in a
/etc/sysconfig/harddisks on the line EXTRA_PARMS:
   EXTRA_PARMS="-a64 -c3 -d1 -m16 -u1 -W1 -X69"

Then for my DVD/CD-RW (/dev/hdb) and 'cat /proc/ide/hdb/settings', I set the
following (it's now done in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit at the exact same spot
where DMA was turned off - I replaced the -d0 with what's below):
   -c3 -d1 -u1 -X69

These are the settings I found worked best for me and my installation but
they might give you something to look at.

Another option is to start mplayer like this (graphic mode):
   gmplayer -ao null

This disables the audio to see if you can get the video problems resolved.

Dave