[MPlayer-users] How to use mencoder as a "tivo"

Manolis Tzanidakis mtzanidakis at freemail.gr
Wed Nov 27 12:12:02 CET 2002

Hello,
I really enjoyed the thread "tv card basics" and I'm (almost)
successfully using mencoder to record tv programs to divx with the
following command :

# mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:channel=$1 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=650:vme=5 -vop pp=lb -oac mp3lame
-lameopts vbr=0:br=64:aq=9:mode=3 -ofps 25

However this doesn't record any sound. I have connected tv card's audio
out to my sblive's input (mixer tab: line) & I can hear audio with
xawtv & mplayer -tv. Anyone knows how to also record audio ?
Last but not least how can I tell mencoder to rec for a specified time,
i.e. 40 mins ? I wanna run it w/ crontab to rec my favorite shows
automatically...

P.S. : I searched the ml-archives but couldn't find anything.

--
Manolis Tzanidakis
(mtzanidakis-at-freemail-dot-gr)
Jabber: mtzanidakis at jabber.org