[MPlayer-users] Problem with audio when playing DVDs

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Wed Nov 27 16:36:02 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 14:59, Alexandros Karypidis wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 17:52, gabor wrote:
> > > ==== CUT HERE ====
> > > Detected audio codec: [a52] afm:14 (AC3-liba52)
> > > Requested audio codec family [a52] (afm=14) not available (enable it at
> > > compile time!)
> > > Couldn't initialize audio codec! -> nosound
> > > ==== CUT HERE ====
> > yes, it's obvious... you don't have the required audio codec....
> > how did you install it?
> > from rpm packages? where do you got them?
> > from source?
>
> I used "apt-get install Mplayer".
> I have apt4rpm and use RPM packages uploaded to ftp://ftp.gwdg.de (usually
> unofficial by SuSE employees).

your problem is that ac3 ( or a52 ... it has two names ) support wasn't
compiled in...

so try to install some packages called liba52 or something like that...

but that won't really help, because your mplayer was compiled without
a52 support..

so best would be to contact the package creators, and tell him to
compile mplayer with a52 support.

bye,
gabor

p.s: or, if you're brave enough :-), you can compile it for yourself
from the sources at www.mplayerhq.hu