[MPlayer-users] devices

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Wed Nov 27 20:35:02 CET 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 17:45, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:29:31 +0100
> Anders Rune Jensen <anders at gnulinux.dk> wrote:
>
> > Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:
> >
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > > DOCS/bugreports.html] Can someone tell me how to make mplayer output
> > > to /dev/sound/dsp instead of /dev/dsp?
> >
> > -ao /dev/sound/dsp
>
> Hm. I'll try that. thanks.
>
> > > Preferably by default.
> >
> > Add to config
>
> Not trying to be funny, but HOW?? I read the docs, and unless Im really
> thick, none of them detail the config file systax.

> > > RTFM!!!  http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS
> >
> > right, it's in there
>
> Actually, I find the 'RTFM' headers on this list 1) offensive

then you haven't seen people talking OFFENSIVE here yet :)

> and 2) a
> waste of bandwidth.

some of the developers consider this whole mailing-list a waste of
bandwidth :-)))

> I /did/ rtfm, and found it lacking. I tried the '-ao oss:/dev/sound/dsp'
> option as documented, and it failed.

come on, now you really assume that with this info 'it failed' we will
be able to tell you how to solve it?

what about a proper bugreport? DOCS/bugreports.html

or at least tell us:
what soundcard, what driver ( oss/alsa )?
failed/... how did it fail? ( the output of mplayer -v -ao
oss:/deve/sound/dsp your.avi)

bye,
gabor
--