[MPlayer-users] Splitting an MPG 1 file

Sycotic Smith sycotic at linuxmail.org
Wed Nov 27 23:56:03 CET 2002

> > Can I use a command like;
> >
> > mencoder -ss XX:XX -endpos XX:XX -oac copy -ovc copy -o out.mpg ./in.mpg
> >
> > to split up an 800 mpg file into 2 chunks? I had read this only works on
> > AVI files so I wanted to ask first.
> >
> > Shaun
>
> Hmmm... I haven't tested it, but it should work.
> Simply try it.
> Since the options
> -oac copy -ovc copy
> do not do any encoding the codec is not relevant.
>
> Greetings
> Andre

You will run into one problem:  This will create an AVI file with the .mpg extension that has your mpeg1 inside.  Try transcode or mjpegtools, those have better luck, IMHO.  And you won't get an MPEG1 in an AVI container with them if you RTheirFMs for the correct options.

/S. Smith
http://www.linuxmail.org/