[MPlayer-users] Download trailers from apple.com with style ;-)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 29 22:20:05 CET 2002

Hi,

> cool :) What exactly is the point for apple doing this ? It is easier for them
> to implement it ? Or it is more difficult to download a movie, which is there
> to be downloaded by anybody? ;)

dunno, but they're even more funny.

there is a standard way to place URL references in .mov container/fileformat
(similar thing like .asx for windows media). it's called (surprise!)
Reference Media. :)
they have only moov header (or cmov if zlib compressed), and no mdat, so
mplayer did't even recognize them as mov files.
I've just commited some code to CVS to display URLs (and if ran with -v,
then bitrate + quality values (usually dummy:() too) when opening the file.
mplayer will still complain about fileformat not recognized, but ignore it,
few lines above it prints the URLs found in the header.
it works with zlib headers too.

but the T3 trailer is very tricky. totaly different thing.
it is a real mov file (not a reference media one), but has only a single,
"Generic" type track, which is actually an "Sprite Animation" subtype.
It's something like animated gif with mouse events. There is a GIF89
image and some event handling commands in the sample data part of the
file (in mdat). "of course" it's zlib compressed too, just like the header.
I've commited some code to dump (and un-zlib if compressed) generic track's
data blocks to files, it's activated by verbose level >=3 (so you
need -v -v -v to get teh tXX-sXXX.dump files).
then you can examine these files with any text viewer and see the URLs!
(maybe i'll write parser for the 'sprite command' structure one day, but
not in the near future)
bonus: it'll also dump Flash animations, with name tXX-sXXX.swf
(most .mov trailers i have has some flash animation included)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team