[MPlayer-users] noise plugin

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Oct 1 01:02:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:52:14PM +0200, j.a.l wrote:
> anyone tried the noise generator video plugin ??? it's well coded,
> fast,  good, funny.... and - for me - useless. i'm adding / changing
> plugin support into my mplayer frontend so : must i include it ????

Huh? The noise filter drastically improves perceptual quality with
ugly low-quality movies, by masking the distortion caused by throwing
away or approximating coefficients from the dct. Just try -vop
noise=4t on such a movie and see the difference. You may have to
increase to 5 or 6 if the movie is REALLY low quality.

Rich