[MPlayer-users] TVout without X.

Jeremy Brenner jeremy at theedge.net
Thu Oct 3 08:30:03 CEST 2002

> The "killer" card to have in my book (which if anyone knows of this
> please speak up) would be a card capable of tv-out, mpeg2
> encoding/decoding (hardware), dolby 5.1 capable.
>
> Basically a tivo on a card like the WinPVR stuff hauppauge makes, except
> they are shit heads about drivers (no linux).  There's a market
> there for some company to release a truly open product, although companies
> seem to cry about "legal issues" and a product like that.
>
> oh well..
>
> -Jason

I like the mpeg decoding, but I don't want them to skimp on the
framebuffer, because you end up using 2x the processor power to play
anything that isn't mpeg.  My collection consists of about 140GB of divx
and 5GB of mpegs.  I love hardware decoding, but I don't wanna have to
reencode all my videos on the way.  I would be happy without hw decoding
if I could just find a high quality tv out paired with the ability to
play without X.  That and I don't wanna replace my main vid card.