OT about ATI cards Re: [MPlayer-users] Two graphicscards..

Felix von Leitner leitner at convergence.de
Mon Oct 7 16:47:02 CEST 2002

Thus spake Dexter Filmore (Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de):
> What really pisses me of is people telling me I wouldn't have a clue

You don't have a clue.

> and utter such kind of bullshoot, but that seems common along Linux
> folks.

One doesn't have to use Linux to see what a moron you are.

> Luckily I was able to avoid such behaviour.

Not only a moron, a delusional moron.

> I don't know why tho since trying to be a nice person doesn't pay.

ROTFL

> Macrovision can not be implemented open source.

Why would anyone want to implement Macrovision anyway?

> If it was, it would be dead easy to remove it.

Newsflash: Macrovision _is_ dead easy to remove.

> A copy protection mechanism where everybody can read how it works and
> simply comment it out in the src code is worth shit.

No, _only_ copy protection mechanisms where everybody can read how it
works is worth anything.  If people know how it works and _still_ can't
break it, _then_ it may be worth something.  All the secretive bullshit
has been cracked and will be cracked in the future.

> Which is the reason why ATI doesn't implement it. They can't release open
> source drivers supporting the RT chip for the sake of Macrovison. I don't
> state whether I think MV is good or not it's just that they have to implement
> it or will get ttrouble with law for supporting piracy.

Why don't you show me the law that requires ATI to support Macrovision?
You can't?  Thought so.

> Every hacked solution enabling ViVo functionality doesn't rely on specs.

So?

> If ATI implemented *all* features of their card in open source, it would be
> clear to see to every business rival how the card works, what makes it tick,
> how they did this and that.

So?  Look at mplayer and Linux.  Everyone can see how it works, what
makes it tick, and it still outperforms the competition hands down.  And
there is lots of competition.

> Where all specs open there'd be no competition ->

Bullshit.

> no developement because nobody would make profit on their product secrets as
> there were none.

Bullshit.

Dex, why don't you just shoot yourself instead of polluting this mailing
list with your senseless drivel?